History at Stocksbridge Junior School
For our children at Stocksbridge Junior School, we aim for the History learning to help pupils gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. As we delve into the past, it should inspire our pupils’ curiosity to know more about various events. We actively encourage our pupils to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgement.
History helps pupils to understand the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and relationships between different groups, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
Through our teaching of History, we aim to ensure all our pupils:
- Know and understand the history of the United Kingdom from the earliest times to the present day: how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- Know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world: the nature of ancient civilisations; the expansion and dissolution of empires; characteristic features of past non-European societies; achievements and follies of mankind
- Understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions
- Understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence (both primary and secondary resources) is used rigorously to make historical claims
- Gain historical perspective by placing their growing knowledge into different contexts, understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history; between cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history; and between short- and long-term timescales.
Step back in time…
In addition to the engaging and thought-provoking history learning in the classroom, our children will have opportunities to take part in historically education trips and visits during their time at Stocksbridge Junior School:
- History Van
- Weston Park Museum
- Churnet Valley Railway
- Royal Armouries Museum
- The Peace Museum…to name a few.