Mathematics at Stocksbridge Junior School
At Stocksbridge Junior School, we provide all of our pupils with a high-quality Mathematics education to develop their enjoyment, curiosity, resilience, understanding, fluency and attainment in Mathematics. We believe that every child can enjoy and succeed in Mathematics by being given the appropriate learning opportunities. We instil the ethos that all pupils can develop through practise, support, dedication and hard work. By adopting and encouraging a growth mindset, we enable pupils to develop this resilience and confidence and see the value in learning from mistakes.
- Enjoyment and Curiosity: Pupils at Stocksbridge Junior School engage in lessons; they are enthusiastic and inquisitive about learning Mathematics.
- Resilience: Pupils at Stocksbridge Junior School embrace mathematical challenges, resulting in deep learning.
- Understanding: Through varied and frequent practice, pupils at Stocksbridge Junior School grasp and connect key concepts in a logical sequence rather than following procedure with no meaning. All new learning is built on previous knowledge and skills.
- Fluency: Pupils at Stocksbridge Junior School develop the mathematical fluency necessary to support rapid, accurate recall and application of knowledge.
- Attainment: Pupils at Stocksbridge Junior School apply their learning to reason mathematically and solve a rich variety of problems.
We prepare our pupils for the use of Mathematics in daily life and teach its importance for financial literacy, science, technology, engineering and as a foundation for understanding the world.
Years 3 and 4
The principal focus of Mathematics teaching in lower key stage 2 is to ensure that pupils become increasingly fluent with whole numbers and the four operations, including number facts and the concept of place value. This ensures that pupils develop efficient written and mental methods and perform increasingly complex calculations accurately.
At this stage, pupils develop their ability to solve a range of problems, including with simple fractions and decimal place value. Teaching also ensures that pupils draw with increasing accuracy and develop mathematical reasoning so they can analyse shapes and their properties. Pupils use measuring instruments with accuracy and make connections between measure and number.
Throughout lower key stage 2, pupils are taught multiplication and division facts so that by the end of Year 4, pupils should have memorised their multiplication tables up to and including the 12 multiplication table. They should show precision and fluency in the recall of these facts.
Pupils are taught to read and spell mathematical vocabulary correctly and confidently, using their growing word reading knowledge and their knowledge of spelling.
Our pupils embrace the Mathematics Mastery approach and develop detailed knowledge and skills across the Mathematics curriculum. More importantly, they demonstrate a love of Mathematics and recognise its importance in the wider world. They work confidently and apply the skills that they learn to problem-solving, showing outstanding learning behaviours during Mathematics lessons. Pupils’ Mathematics learning is confidently transferred to, and demonstrated in other curriculum areas.
Pupils at Stocksbridge Junior School achieve well in national tests. 2018 Key Stage 2 Mathematics SATs results.
Pupils leave Stocksbridge Junior School as confident and aspirational learners ready for the next stage of their Mathematics education.