Year 2 to Year 3 Transition
Beginning a new school can be a daunting experience for children of any age and equally for their parents. At Stocksbridge Junior School, we work closely with the infant schools in our area to plan a cohesive programme to ensure the transition from Year 2 to Year 3 is as smooth as possible for both children and parents alike.
Throughout the year, when children are in Year 2, opportunities are provided to gradually introduce your child to Stocksbridge Junior School. Our Year 3 teachers visit the Year 2 classes in their infant setting and liaise with the children’s current teachers, the Year 2 children visit the Junior School a number of times, sometimes for an assembly or short activity and, on other occasions, spending a full day or series of full days getting to know their new teacher and teaching assistants.
For children who may be less confident, additional transition opportunities are provided for them to become familiar with their new surroundings before they start school in September. We find this minimises any anxieties that might exist and encourages all children look forward to starting their new school.
If the number of applications exceeds 90, Sheffield Admissions will allocate places based on the following over-subscription criteria:
- Children in Care (or Previously in Care)
- Children who attend Stocksbridge Nursery Infant school.
- Children whose home address is in the catchment area AND who will have siblings attending Stocksbridge Junior School or Stocksbridge Nursery Infant School.
- Children whose home address is in the catchment area.
- Children whose siblings who were refused a place at their catchment school in a previous year, where parents applied there.
- Children who have brothers or sisters attending Stocksbridge Junior School.
- Other applications.
Please note: Any child that has a statement or EHCP (Educational Health Care Plan) that names a specific school must be given a place there.