The Governing Body contains representatives of the Local Authority, elected parent representatives, elected representatives of the teaching staff, the Headteacher, and co-opted members. The Governors, through the agency of the Headteacher, have general direction of the conduct and curriculum of the school, subject to policies of the Local Authority and Government legislation.
Meetings of the full Governing Body are held at least once per term; other meetings are called as necessary. All Governors at Stocksbridge Junior School are members on all of the committees, this is to ensure that Governors are fully involved in all aspects of school governance.
Parent Governors have a special responsibility to keep parents informed about the working of the Governing Body. If you should wish to speak to a Parent Governor, they may be contacted through the school office. Minutes of the meetings are also available on request from the office.
The Governing Board’s Vision
Our vision is to prepare children for life-long learning, valuing the uniqueness of every child and providing for their needs within a safe and secure environment. We aim to:
- Ensure all our pupils develop a love of learning and a passion to reach the highest levels of achievement and personal development across a highly engaging and creative curriculum.
- Establish positive attitudes and skills and an understanding of themselves as learners with a high focus placed on effort as well as attainment, to promote high standards of behaviour, which reinforces mutual respect, tolerance and understanding of others.
- Provide a well-organised, stimulating and secure learning environment in which children’s previous knowledge is challenged and enhanced and where their best efforts are celebrated.
- Encourage all our pupils to participate in extra-curricular activities as part of our holistic approach to the emotional health and well-being of all our children. We aim to promote a sense of belonging, opportunity to develop physical and creative skills, build self confidence and positive relationships, not only to help our children achieve success in that activity but also in the classroom, in the community and in their lives as a whole.
- Develop our facilities to create fully integrated buildings and outdoor learning environments, fit for purpose, accessible to all, to allow growth to meet the changing needs of all our pupils, parents, carers and the local community.
- Ensure we have the support services that provide financial efficiency. Ensure the school makes the best use of its budget, where resources are allocated in line with the school’s strategic priorities and in its planning and delivery of the curriculum. To achieve the best deal possible when buying goods and services in order to reinvest savings into teaching and learning priorities.
- Further develop our successful partnerships with other schools and organisations using the expertise our teaching staff and strong leadership team to provide high quality training, development and support to both new and experienced school staff.
Publication of Governors’ Details and the Register of Interests
(In accordance with the DfE’s statutory guidance, ‘The constitution of governing bodies of maintained schools’, August 2015.)
For details of governors’ date of appointment, term of office, date they stepped down (where applicable) and who appointed them, visit the DfE Get Information About Schools webpage.
|Name||Responsibility||Business and Financial interest||Material interests arising from relationships between governors or relationships between governors and school staff|
|Martin Booth||Chair of Governors||None||None|
|Simon Botterill||Vice Chair/Curriculum & Values Committee Chair||None||None|
|Rick Cuthbert||Personnel & Pupil Support Committee Chair||None||None|
|Vanessa Singleton||Resources Committee Chair||None||None|
|Lucy Ross||Deputy Headteacher||None||None|
|Lewis Underhill||Inclusion/Safeguarding Link Governor||None||None|
Governors terms of office
|M Booth||Chair of Governors||Local Authority||1 March 1994||31 July 2022|
|S Botterill||Vice Chair||Governing Body||1 April 2003||31 March 2023|
|R Cuthbert||Governor||Governing Body||1 April 2004||1 May 2024|
|V Singleton||Governor||Governing Body||1 January 2012||1 January 2024|
|L Underhill||Governor||Governing Body||13 March 2019||12 March 2023|
|S Gaymond||Headteacher||Ex-officio by virtue of office||1 February 2013||Not recorded|
|L Ross||Deputy Head||Governing Body||1 March 2013||31 March 2024|